Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Sadam's Jury


The Big International headlines: Sadam (is it with one or two d's?) Hussein Pleads His Innocence.

If you were on the jury, what would your verdict be? By the way, if you want to implicate other world leaders, this judge will allow it. :)

This photo of Donald Rumsfeld meeting Saddam Hussein was in 1983. Let's put this into perspective, just so you can give the benefit of the doubt where it needs to be. Saddam Hussein became president of Iraq in 1979. From 79 to 82, several key political people mysteriously die, any member of the Da'wa Party is breaking the law punishable by death, and in 80 Iran becomes an official enemy starting the Iran-Iraq war that ended in 88. Naturally, as the United States was reeling after the Iran Hostage Crises (yes, I think there was more than one crisis), we wanted to get to know better the man who thinks Iran is evil. The US State Department took Iraq off the list of states that supported international terrorists (not the Al-Qaeda type). Then Reagan sends Rumsfeld as a special envoy to rekindle a friendship lost in the 1967 Arab-Israeli war. Rumsfeld must have created a special bond with Sadam Hussein, because the US really began to help Iraq in many ways.

You could say it was the US who made Sadam into the man he is today. Or that Sadam was a wolf in sheep's clothing. As jury, I'll let you decide.

Please post your verdict(s) with your comments! Heck you can indict me for spelling Sadam wrong if you like, but I maintain that I am innocent. Especially since I am not the only one who spells it with one d.

1 comment:

laura k said...

Jen, thank you for your comment on my blog. What a great post this is.

One my my dearest friends is originally from Iowa, so I have good feelings about you folks out there.

All the best to you. Do let me know if your dream becomes prophetic.