Thursday, December 01, 2005

Waste Not, Want Not! OR...The Trash Trade

Canada this week said they will fight to make sure that they can send their trash to the United States. No, we aren't talking about streeting walking floozies or rauchous pimpsters imported to NYC from Montreal. This is really trash talk about the waste trade.

Apparently, Toronto sends all of its trash to Michigan. (Imagine if trash could sing, a little Glenn Miller, please... I'm going to Michigan, to see the smelliest trash, from Cah-ah-nada!) Citizens in Michigan and other bordering states are appalled that foreign trash (no, not crappy international B movies) is being imported into their back yards.

Canada says that they have the right under NAFTA to import such commodities as trash. Sure, NAFTA was created to help our neighboring countries to bring more of their goods and products into the States, but I highly doubt that garbage and refuse was on the minds of NAFTA signers.

I guess Canada took it literally when they heard Irving Berlin's "give me your tired, your poor...the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.."

Oh, well. I guess if Canada wants to be known for their finest imported refuse, instead of exquisite minks and touks, then so be it. I don't want to hear them gripe that the States think Canada's nothing but trash. (Psst. Canada, pick your battles wisely. If I were you, I'd forget about this one.)

No comments: