Thursday, December 22, 2005

Burnt Offerings

I am officially burnt out from Christmas. I know, I know. It isn't even Christmas, yet.

But, I think I've learned my lesson, I think. Maybe it's that next year, we won't have presents (although I think my niece would disown me). Or maybe I will put up the Christmas tree and buy presents earlier. Or maybe I just won't promise to help so much with the day care party. Or maybe we will plan a night to make presents as a family, and keep to that schedule. Or maybe I will delegate recording and editing all of the Christmas concerts to someone else. Or maybe I will make a concerted effort to spend more time with my Spiritual side around the holidays. Whatever I decide is my lesson, I know I will do things just a bit differently next year.

Whoever decided that the two major holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) celebrated in our culture should come within a month's time from each other should be shot (ok, okay, maybe that's too harsh). Add to it the snow and cold, the family get-togethers (especially where presents and/or decorating and cleaning house are required), buying the presents, decorating the house, the parties, programs, school concerts, sick kids, and getting time off from work when day care takes more time off than you--well, the whole thing kind of snowballs on you.

I admit that I really hate what has become of Christmas. I still believe in the original qualities of the Christmas holiday, to reflect on the birth of our Savior, and come together as a community of believers to celebrate the feast of Christ's coming.

Thank goodness for New Year's. Without that holiday to let us go crazy and release all the pent-up madness from the Christmas holiday, we would likely be a civilization of over-done fries.

This year, I will offer my Christmas Burn-Out Burnt Offering to the altar of renewal for the New Year in a release of joyous relief.

No comments: