Friday, December 16, 2005

U-N-I Fight! U-N-I Fight!

Since my freshman year at the University of Northern Iowa, I learned that UNI not only stands for a great college education, but for the University of Nothing Impossible. It was that cold March day when most everyone had gone early for Spring Break, that I remember watching the Panthers in Maucker Union win their first games in March Madness. Those were exciting times.

During my time at UNI, I loved to watch Panther football in the UNI-Dome. Gotta love that controlled environment in the frozen tundra of Northern Iowa. My last year there, the football team was excellent, with Kurt Warner as their quarterback. He's the same guy that got the St. Louis Rams their Super Bowl victory in 2000. Yup. Nothing's Impossible.

And, yet again, UNI is out to show everyone that nothing really is impossible for the kids from the University of Northern Iowa. Tonight the UNI Panthers will play some backward college from the Appalachians for the 1AA Football Championship.

I'm just imagining these Appalachian kids like some kin-folk from the back woods with big holes in their shoes and ripped overalls coming to play with a beat up felt hat and knawing on a piece of wheat. The center will have a big ol' whiskey jug with moonshine in it, and only shares it during the huddles, and occassionally when they find those tree trunks at the ends of the field, which ain't too often, y'all know.

Ok, okay. I'm sure they are just like any other college, and they probably aren't so backwards. They probably think the same way about Iowa, too. Hee, hee.

Back to the game. I am sure that these Appalachians play good football, or else they wouldn't be in the Championship game. So, I reckon that it will be a close one, and it'll come down to the final four minutes. But, in the end I think UNI will win 28-21. Gooooo Panthers!

No comments: