Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Preface to Fighting the Wrong War

The two part posts on We Are Fighting the Wrong War was written about a month ago when strange ideas kept popping into my head and I was trying to make sense of all that has happened regional and globally in the last decade or two. Not all Muslims, I believe, want to take over the world, and hopefully only wish the world would embrace peace, instead.

Islam, in its own meaning, is a peaceful religion. Many of the main ideals in Islam correspond to traditional Christian views. True Islamic devotion to Allah is equal to true Christian (and Jewish) worship of God.

In another sense, Islamic followers have not made their religion as casual as many Christian and Jewish followers, especially in the United States, have done for their religions.

I had the opportunity to work with a devoted Muslim, which gave me insight to his faith of Allah. At first he was very short with his words to me, but once he got to know me, we were able to hold short discussions on many topics. At each break, he would go down to the basement where he would position a bench to the east and say his prayers. I don't recall any time he did not divert from this task during his breaks. When I moved on to take another job, he was one of the last to wish me well. He said I was a good person, I would be missed, and that he would pray for me daily. I don't think I will forget his kindness.

Sometimes we all too easily get caught up with the "Islamic terrorists" as with the "Pedophile Scandal in the Catholic Church" in the media and forget that these religions ultimately are comprised of good individuals who believe in their faith, and worship God (Allah) that will lead them to the ultimate peace.

No comments: