Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Greatness in Television News?

“This is 'The CBS Evening News With Katie Couric.'” It was Cronkite himself, her most distinguished predecessor.

I really didn't get a chance to watch the evening news much, and I sadly missed this debut to the evening news, just as I missed Brian Williams' debut. From the many reviews, it seems I didn't miss much. Thank goodness.

Wow. Walter Cronkite voices the intro for Ms. Katie Couric. A legend in his own right. Cronkite. The same man, who showed the world that anchors have heart-felt emotions, when he dramatically and professionally took off his glasses to relay to the television world that President Kennedy had died. Walter Cronkite, what true gravitas.

Gravitas. Katie Couric. I am not sure if I can put those two words together in one sentence. Call me a bit old fashioned, or maybe this is how her other network portrayed her, but she seems to be better suited to hosting a cooking show over an evening news program. Weren't there other female candidates that would have echoed the same traditional journalistic gravitas as Walter Cronkite?

Unless Katie can shed that old gal next door persona, that's what she'll continue to deliver. No gravitas there.

1 comment:

SadButTrue said...

I have modified the Harbor template I use on my team's blog Les Enragés to have an inverted US flag flying from the lighthouse upper left. Come and take a look, if it's something you would like to do, you can copy the code. If you don't feel comfortable with editing your template, email me and I will send you instructions. I saw your name in Len Hart's comments. -SBT- (:-D
http://unrulymob.blogspot.com