Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Pope to Enjoy Turkey This Week?

Pope Benedict XVI hopefully has packed his courage, along with the extra baggage of almost two centuries of crusades and his recent remarks regarding Islam's apparent tradition with wars and violence.

I'd like to back the Pope on this, really I would, but I'd be running scared with my tail between my legs. The Catholic Church does not have a pristine record on peace. We are just as guilty of instigating war and violence in our Maker's name. Sigh.

Pope Benedict certainly is showing that he has more balls than I would have imagined. The question does linger in my mind regarding his trip to Turkey: Will he take Istanbul by the horns and command them like a true matador? Indeed, this meeting will be a clash of religions. It will also possibly be the moment of truth when each side will show the world the true tenets of their religion.

It seems ironic that this meeting falls during the week Americans celebrate Thanksgiving, a time to reflect on the story when the newly settled pilgrims "shared" a feast of the harvest with their new neighbors, the "Indians". Maybe this Thanksgiving will be a sharing of peace between Christians and Muslims around the world to embrace the peaceful love of our Maker.

No comments: