Thursday, March 23, 2006

EEeeeck! Dr. Evil Is Likely Working Hard In His Laboratory

The Avian "Bird" Flu doesn't scare me as much as what some creepy mad scientist will do with it. Oh, you're not following me? Didn't you read my last post about the bird flu? Well, scroll down and read it.

One of my diligent blog readers forwarded the Title Link (right click on the title and select open in new window), which expands the knowledge that our mad scientists have to make such a pandemic a reality.

Here's the statements from that article that are likely making Dr. Evil laugh with evil delight:

First and foremost, it (avian flu virus) would need mutations in the spike, the haemagglutinin molecule, to enable the virus to bind to cells in the upper respiratory tract.

This would enable the virus to spread via coughs and sneezes and nasal mucus, which are caused by irritation to the upper airways.

To boost its pandemic potential, the virus also needs changes in its PB2 gene, which controls an enzyme essential for efficient reproduction.

I can hear it now: "Muwaaaah ahhhh ahhhh. My scheme to take over the world, it's all coming into place now. Muwaaaah aaaaah aaaah."

No comments: