Wednesday, November 16, 2005

They knew the time had come...

Last night I was watching the School House Rock DVD with my son and was struck when I heard this from one of the tunes:

Anything I say, do it my way now.
Anything I say, do it my way.
Don't you get to feeling independent
'Cause I'm gonna force you to obey.

... There's a section where there is talking in this tune that isn't listed on the lyrics sheet, but that is what really got me. It said basically that a country shouldn't withhold the basic rights of its citizens and when it does the citizens should demand a new government. I will write the verbage down and put it here later. --Stay tuned! ...

They knew the time had come
For them to take command.
It's very clear you're being unfair, King,
No matter what you say, we won't obey.

That was the tune, No More Kings. For some reason, I think this is the way revolutions are supposed to take place. It takes the willing work of the people wanting freedom to do it on their own. The more they depended on the King, the more that the King demanded and the more the King took advantage of them.

I don't think things are too differently in Iraq right now, nor are they too different here in the US. Even here in the US, we are seeing how government is taking advantage not only of the situation in Iraq but also how we are losing basic rights for the cause of the fight against terrorists. US Leaders are coming out of the woodwork to state their disdain for the state of human affairs and rights from the US government to other countries and to our own people. Among those leaders is the former President Jimmy Carter, who's kind and gentle disposition doesn't normally see such public outcry as his article "This isn't the real America" in the LA Times. Read the article, then please post your comments to the following questions.

So, are you ok with losing some basic rights to fight terrorism?

Are you ok with anyone representing the US to torture or advocate violence to anyone for any reason?

Should torture and violence be a primary activity for anyone representing the US?

No comments: