Monday, November 21, 2005

Pick Our Battles: Potter Pokes

Funny when you're trying to find something else online and wind up finding something that pertains to something that it is not intended... (See link in title.)

My mom listens to Christian radio quite a lot, religiously, I would say. And when Harry Potter came out, and then the Christian hype that it would make children Satan-worshippers, my mom heard it on Christian radio. And, you know Christian radio only espouses the truth.

When I happened upon this article on the web, I had to chuckle when I read it, because there were way too many undertones of other misgivings we hear so much as of late about terrorism and the Iraq war.

I'm not saying that everything we hear about terrorism and Iraq is parody (just most everything I hear), but that as Christians we need to pick our battles. And pick them wisely. Too often, we think that if we don't do something about it, some person under our watch will be damned to hell. Don't you think that our Christian God is too weak to do anything. Because he isn't.

God wants us to be vigilant to him, not to our enemies. Whenever we become more vigilant to our enemies (evil Harry Potter magic, or terrorism, or WMDs, or militant factions), the more we have turned our back on God (we can't think of both hatred and love at the same time). God will take care of our enemies, we just need to give our care to God.

So, what am I saying? We shouldn't fight terrorism? No, not exactly. As Christians, maybe we should fight terrorism the way God wants us to fight it... with God's love, not with selfish revenge. God will take care of the rest.

By the way, in this post Jen has been replaced by some spirit that actually thinks clearly and coherently, and values love above and beyond all else. I'm sure Jen will need to comment on her spirit's writing, so that she can retain her earthly desire to poke at things she really doesn't need to, unless it's for a laugh or two.

No comments: